3.02.2011

DIY Project #3: K & R




Painted K, Naked R

My final DIY wedding project was our initials, K & R. Because RZ & I branded everything from the spot in the sand where he proposed to our wedding invitations with our initials, I wanted to continue the theme at our wedding reception. I picked out the perfect spot for our initials on a site visit at Hyatt on the Hudson: our guest book table. The guest book table would be against the wall & the letters would add a bit of height & personality. After the wedding, we could hang the letters in our home as a wedding memento. Now all I needed was to complete the project!



K & R in Progress

This DIY project was the quickest & easiest. I bought two wooden letters, one ampersand, two bottles of ivory paint & one bottle of mocha paint at AC Moore. I briefly considered painting the ampersand purple because I had added touches of purple, like the bridesmaid dresses, throughout the celebration. In the end, I went with mocha for the simple reason that it would look best in our living room when the wedding was said & done. I took my supplies home & painted the K & R with about five coats of paint over a period of a few days. I applied the final coat of paint the night before the wedding :-)

The snag was the guest book table wasn't placed against the wall as the catering manager had told me. I went through three catering managers at Hyatt on the Hudson &, unfortunately, the second one who led me on a site tour may not have known everything about the cocktail hour set-up. It never occurred to me to confirm the guest book table placement with my third, final & best Hyatt contact. At our wedding, the guest book table was placed in an excellent position near the ballroom entrance- just not against a wall. I hadn't bought letters that could stand on their own so the initials were awkwardly propped up somehow on the table. For a fleeting moment as I entered the ballroom & noticed the table, I considered putting on my wedding planner hat & trying to fix the problem, then realized it wasn't a big deal. At all.



K & R in our home today

For the record, as you can see above, our initials look just right on our living room wall!


4 comments:

  1. They look so cute!! Well done :) We have a R an ampersand and an A in our home too since we had letters at our wedding. We never really got a great photo of them at the wedding though which makes me sad! Oh well right? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Even if you don't have any photos, you have the memories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. no worries, they were beautiful and the guest book was in a perfect place! i'm thinking about making some yarn-wrapped initials for my place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jen! I truly had to stop myself from trying to fix the K & R (I was wondering if there was double-sided tape to adhere them to the table) & I'm so glad I didn't bother. Nobody is talking about the strangely-propped letters!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Lovely! Your kind comments are most welcome & always appreciated. XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...