6.17.2010

Fine China. Really?


Now my dragonfly-loving cousin would love the June Lane pattern
BUT would she use the fine china?
From Kate Spade


I like the simply pretty Cypress Point fine china
BUT would the fine china ever do more than gather dust?
From Kate Spade


Task: Create wedding gift registries.

I remember registering at Fortunoff's with my sister for her wedding. She was handed a scanner & given free reign to register for everything & anything her heart desired. Pretty plates- check! Adorable, tiny salt-and-pepper shakers- check! One million thread count sheets- check! How cool! She kindly let me scan a few items to give me a taste for registering.

Now it's my turn to register for our wedding. As much as I loved the thrill of freely scanning the store, I decided to go the easy route of registering online. I kick-started our registry effort with Crate&Barrel & Pottery Barn.

Now, let me tell you, there are plenty of things my fiance RZ (as he will be called on this blog from this day forward) & I need for our home. Before we moved in together, RZ & I each had nice homes filled with nice things. By the time we combined households, many of our things had started to show wear & tear. Our kitchen is a hodgepodge of mismatched dishes, several silverware patterns, chipped glassware, tattered dishtowels, etc.

I had a wonderful time upgrading the sorry state of our kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom & bathrooms through our wedding gift registries. Matching silverware- yes, yes! Coordinating serving pieces- sign us up! Soft, fluffy towels- yes, please! And of course we must have a wine cooler! Honestly, we don't need any of these things but if our wedding guests choose to bestow us with these great items, we will be forever grateful.

I couldn't bring myself to register for fine china or other fancy items like real silver silverware. One, our perfectly-sized condo has a storage limit that has been reached. We don't have room for a new coat, let alone fine china. Two, I never saw my parent's fine china until my married sister unpacked it to display in her dining room buffet. The fine china is absolutely beautiful & it was passed down from my Dad's parents. It was never used in our house. Not that my family didn't entertain, because we did, but our guests weren't trusted with the fine china. So I have a hard time registering for something that we don't have room to store & that we may never use.

Any thoughts? Pro or con fine china?

P.S. I caved & registered for fine china at Macy's. RZ says I'm shopping our way from a condo into a house. Well, that's another story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Lovely! Your kind comments are most welcome & always appreciated. XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...