5.19.2011

Honeymoon: Napali Coast {Kauai}

Besides Waimea Canyon, everyone said a "must see" in Kauai was the Napali Coast. This rugged, 15-mile stretch of sheer, striking cliffs is accessible only by boat or hiking. Not the hiking type, RZ & I booked a Napali Coast sunset cruise by Kauai Sea Tours. As an extra bonus, the winter waters promised to be full of playful whales.

On our appointed day, we boarded the 60-foot Lucky Lady catamaran & scored a sweet spot on the upper deck:



We passed another beautiful, haunting, abandoned sugar mill:


As promised, the waters were teeming with whales. We were treated to Momma & baby whales jumping, playing & cruising which was a highlight for me. I didn't get any good photos of said whales but here is a pretty view of Kauai:


Then we reached the cloudy Napali Coast:


The Napali Coast cliffs are twice the height of the Empire State Building. As a girl who sees the Empire State Building every day, I was amazed:


Clouds rest on the cliffs of green, red, orange & brown:


Here is an arch, big enough to fit a helicopter!, carved into the cliffs. & look at those turquoise waters:


One woman complained about the clouds, claiming we were missing out on the cliff's bright colors in the sun. There is one in every crowd! I thought the low clouds made for dramatic sights:


Did I mention it was a sunset cruise?


The Napali Coast cruise was a triple delight with the whales, the cliffs & the sunset. I enjoyed every moment, even my sea sickness. I may have been green & felt awful but even then, the Napali Coast was quite a sight. As much as I loved it, I was a happy girl to arrive on steady land!

2 comments:

Hi, Lovely! Your kind comments are most welcome & always appreciated. XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...